The Rice Investment
At Rice, we believe that talent deserves opportunity.
Starting in the 2019-20 academic year, The Rice Investment will greatly expand support for low- and middle-income families, eliminating tuition for many talented students.
To make this vision a permanent reality, Rice has launched a fundraising drive to secure $150 million in financial aid endowments by June 2025. Thanks to the generosity of Rice trustees and other donors, we are nearly a third of the way to our goal, but we will need the full support of the Rice community if we are to lead the way in providing access and opportunity to all talented students.
Through the Rice Investment, we will expand the aid that we provide families:
- Degree-seeking undergraduate students whose families earn less than $65,000* will receive grants that fully cover tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board.
- Students whose families earn between $65,000 and $130,000* will receive at least a full-tuition scholarship.
- Students whose families earn between $130,000 and $200,000* will receive at least a half-tuition scholarship.
- Students receiving these awards will not be required to borrow to fund their education.
*With typical assets
This is the future of affordability. With your support, we will boldly invest in our talented young Owls who, prepared with a Rice education, will move the world forward.
Creativity that deserves opportunity
In high school, Lily Wulfemeyer ’20 knew Rice was the perfect place to pursue her interests in engineering, creative writing and music. She soon realized that cost might be a barrier. “When I received my acceptance, I was thrilled,” Lily says. “But I needed to figure out if my family could make this work.” Learn how scholarship support is helping Lily build a bright future.
Invest in talent. Watch their Rice opportunity grow.
Rice and the world are stronger when all talented students can envision a future without significant debt. Here are just a few ways your support will make this possible.
- Removing barriers — Your support removes obstacles that prospective students — including those from middle-income families — face when considering Rice, while ensuring that our graduates have every opportunity to pursue fulfilling lives and careers unhindered by significant debt.
- Building onto a legacy — Rice has a long history of keeping college affordable and meeting all demonstrated need. It’s how we started, it’s what we’ve maintained, and now with your support, we are going beyond that by increasing access to a quality education for middle-income students.
- Strengthening the Rice experience — Your investment helps attract and support a talented and economically diverse student body. The result is a more dynamic community of scholars who bring a range of ideas, experiences and perspectives that enrich the Rice experience.
This is the moment to invest in the promising young women and men who have the talent, creativity and drive to positively impact the world. Contact us to learn about the various ways you can make a difference.